Ficus Trees

How Do I Fertilize a Ficus

batya added on September 12, 2014 | Answered

I have a ficus tree and it's definitely in stress. I just read an article that said it needs nutrients and to be fertilized every month. I am new to taking care of plants. How do I do that?

If your plant is not doing well, fertilizer is probably not the the answer. Fertilizer should never be given to a plant that is ailing. Fertilizer provides the minerals that are part of many of the processes of life for plants, but plants make the majority of their food from air, light, and water. When the minerals in the soil are used up, or not present in high enough concentration because of the composition of the soil itself, fertilizer can be added. Ficus trees in very high light (beside a bright south-facing window) can be fertilized once a month through spring, summer, and fall. Give it a rest in winter. If the plant is in lower light ( shaded window, several feet from the window, north or east window) fertilize only 3 or 4 times a year. Use balanced (all three number equal) fertilizer. This article tells you more about fertilizing houseplants:
There are several common causes for ficus not doing well, chief among them is insufficient light, or being recently moved; overwatering or underwatering; and an infection of scale insects. Theses articles will help you diagnose and remedy the problem:

Here are more questions about Ficus Trees