Hydrangea Plants

How Do I Correct Fertilizer Burn?

shayneen added on July 5, 2011 | Answered

The leaves on my hydrangea are turning brown due to over fertilizing. How do I correct this? Is it fertilizer burn? I used flowering plant fertilizer 15-30-15. I also changed the colour with Aluminum Sulphate. It has new flower buds forming. Should I just continue to flush the area?

It could be fertilizer burn, but it could also be too little water. If your hydrangea is in full light, they are very water hungry and will brown on the edges or wilt during the day if they don't get enough light.

Flushing the area is the best thing you can do. It won't reverse the damage, but it will prevent any more from happening. Plus, if it is a water issue and not fertilizer burn, it will make the plant happy.

In the future, water a plant very thoroughly before applying fertilizer. This will help keep the plant from taking up too much fertilizer and burning its roots.

00
Here are more questions about Hydrangea Plants