How Do I Care for My Mary Rose

mary rose added on October 12, 2015 | Answered

I have a Mary Rose bush that was given to me. It was planted the beginning of summer and I need to know when to cut it back, etc.

Mary Rose is a sweetheart of a rosebush, I love mine! From the David Austin roses, she is very hardy and loves to bloom. I prune my rosebushes back lightly once they have gone dormant. Then I wait for Mary to tell me where to prune her the following Spring. Once she starts to leaf out, she will show you where the canes have died and you can prune those out. That is when I also do a shaping pruning on mine. A hard pruning is usually not needed. Here is an article of mine on pruning roses for you but Mary is a bit different so I gave you my tips above. Link> https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/pruning-roses.htm

00