Boxwood Shrubs

How Can I Help My Boxwoods That Are Dying

Courcour1121@gmail.com added on August 3, 2015 | Answered

How can I help my boxwoods that are dying off in thatches annually? I have many boxwoods that were planted 16 years ago. Over the last few years, thatches of them turn bronze or dried up green, then pale blonde. I've been cutting the blonde bunches out, but the plants look awkward. Some have had so many pieces die off. I've had to dig them up. Is this just a case of extreme seasonal temperatures? What can I do? Is there another formal, small, evergreen shrub I can plant that will survive better?? Thank you!

Here is an article that explains the reasons for yellow or brown leaves on boxwood shrubs:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/yellow-or-brown-boxwoods.htm

I tend to lean towards it being extreme seasonal temperatures. I, too, had this problem after the harsh winter we just had. There are steps you can take to winterize your boxwoods, which are discussed in the following article - i hope this helps:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/home-garden/2014/10/16/boxwoods-need-winterizing/17381355/

Happy gardening!

00
SheilaSB

Boxwoods tend to like shaded or partially shaded areas, so please check the location and the amount of sun/shade they receive. Another poster suggested winter burn, so please follow this person's recommendations. I would keep pruning the boxwoods, hoping new growth will occur to replace the lost branches.

00
Here are more questions about Boxwood Shrubs