Flowering Almond

How Can I Ensure That My Double Flowering Plum Blooms Each Year?

Karen.Andrews added on May 16, 2015 | Answered

I have a beautiful double flowering plum (also called flowering almond) and it is only getting blooms on the very bottom of the stem. The branches leaf out no problem but not flowers. Is there a way to get it to flower on all the stems?

It is likely a problem with late season cold snaps. The blossom buds are far more susceptible to cold damage than the leaf buds. A late season cold snap can kill the upper flowers.

In the future, you will need to take steps to provide some protection to the plant during late season cold snaps. One common method is putting twinkle lights on the tree and turning them on if you expect a early spring frost. They provide just enough heat to keep frost from the blossom buds. This article has some other suggestions:

Here are more questions about Flowering Almond