Horsetail Reed Plants

Horsetail Eradication

Witchwindy added on September 8, 2015 | Answered

Horsetail eradication article does not match my experience. I have horsetail all around my yard, particularly in the flowerbeds around the foundation of my home, which are basically gravel and sand with some compost and commercial gardening medium added, so quickly draining, basically dry conditions, and this summer's long drought here in the PNW did not slow their growth or spread. Since these flowerbeds are also full of perennial flowers and bulbs, I do NOT want to lose them. How do I eradicate this pest? In previous years, I just dug the beds 2' deep and removed all roots I could see (I also have morning glory in one of those beds, the large white flowered, perennial kind which is just as difficult to eradicate) and then planted annuals in them, but I'm in my 70s now and that is a great deal of work that is very hard on my body and arthritic hands. I'd like a method that is not so labor intensive and won't disturb or destroy my wanted plants.

Horsetail has been around since the dinosaurs so it's irradication is no easy task.
Controlling it is a more likely possibility. Hand pulling and digging it up is still the best way to do so without risking the rest of your garden.

I did find some research that lists triclopyr as a treatment to kill Horsetail.
Look for this at a garden center.
Remember that any herbicide will kill everything it touches, such as your flowers.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/horsetail/horsetail-weed-control.htm

00
Here are more questions about Horsetail Reed Plants