Holly Bushes

Holly Bush Care

I have a fairly new holly bush that was planted a couple of months ago (in May). I have tried to make sure that I water it some when we haven't had much rain. However, the bottom leaves of the bush are much darker and drier than those on the ends of the branches near the top. Some of the bottom leaves are starting to fall off. It doesn't appear that any animals or bugs have been eating at the leaves. What should I do? I've read that holly bushes should usually be pruned in the winter when they're dormant, but should I remove some of the darker, drier leaves? I don't want this bush to die already since it was just recently planted, so I am asking for some help in knowing how to keep it alive and pretty.

I would increase watering. New shrubs need significant amounts of water for the first year to establish well. I would not worry about pruning it at this time as this could further stress the plant.

Here are more questions about Holly Bushes