Hibiscus Plants
Q.

Are Hibiscus Leaves Toxic?

Anonymous added on December 3, 2010 | Answered

I have an indoor hibiscus plant. Are the leaves toxic if eaten by an animal? I have a pot belly pig that I have had to pull away from the plant at least twice. I'm a little concerned if he gets a few leaves. I have to keep the plant inside because of winter cold.

A.
A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer
Heather
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Answered on December 5, 2010

It is hard to say for certain as applies to pigs, but hibiscus is not toxic to humans. Pigs are very close to humans from a biological standpoint (even at one time being used for heart transplants) so we suspect that the hibiscus would not be toxic to pigs either. But, just in case, keep an eye on him and try to keep him away from the plant.

00
Was this answer useful?

Log in or sign up to help answer this question.
Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

You must be logged into your account to answer a question.

If you don't have an account sign up for an account now.

Looking for more?
here are more questions about...
Hibiscus Plants
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More