Areca Palm Trees

Help! What Is This and How Do I Stop It?

karla2c added on April 26, 2016 | Answered

I bought a Chrysalidocarpus lutescens a few years ago and it was doing fine. A few months ago, a friend who had been caring for my houseplants suggested it needed to be re-potted. I did that, but now this has happened. New "trunks" are growing in with this white stuff around the base, all new fronds then dry out and die. Older growth has been randomly turning yellow, and the plant appears to be "wilting." I took it out of the pot to investigate -- the roots appear to be fine, but the plant base isn't, and there's this dry white stuff in the soil. What is this and how do I fix it?

Areca Palm do need repotting every few years, to refresh the soil.
They do prefer to be in a more confined pot, too large of a pot can lead to over watering and root rot.
They do not like their roots to be disturbed to the fact that you unpotted the plant twice has let to some shock.
You need to make sure you replanted the Palm at the same depth that it was growing previously.
I think that may be the reason you are seeing some strange 'white, new fronds growing' from the base.
You can correct the planting depth and make sure you are watering correctly.
The yellowing fronds can be due to too much sunlight, too much or too little water.
Here is a link to refresh you on the care requirements.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/areca-palm/growing-areca-palm-indoors.htm

00
Here are more questions about Areca Palm Trees