Cherry Laurel

Help Needed With Laurel

Help needed with Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus Rotundifolia). I hope someone can help me. I have 5 Laurel trees that were planted in September last year. After the hot spell we had in May, the trees looked very poorly. I was advised to water them and to put some chicken pellets down. Also, I could use slow release food. I did this and now with the weather they seem quite waterlogged but the trees are not looking any better. In fact, we are convinced they are dead. There are no green leaves. They are all brown and crispy. I was told they would be good trees that look after themselves and come to life in the spring. I am gutted by the look of these trees and will be very upset if I have spent a lot of money on trees that I have to pull and start again. If anyone can help that would be great. I have attached some photos for you to see.

The first year is generally the most important growing time for new planting.

Do the scratch and bend test. Do the branches snap or bend? If you scratch the bark is it still green underneath?
Snapping branches and no green under the bark, the trees have perished.
Most garden centers will replace a dead tree in the first year, you may want to contact them.

Here are a few links to help you.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/mountain-laurel/mountain-laurel-growing.htm
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/watering-newly-planted-tree.htm

00
Here are more questions about Cherry Laurel