Eggplant Plants

Help! Issues With Eggplant Little Seedlings…

acurty added on May 31, 2011 | Answered

Hi, I am trying to grow eggplant from seed this year for the first time. I sowed around April 1, and had sprouts less than 2 weeks later. Since then they have been under grow lights, along with my tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and herbs. They are definitely slower-growing than most of these plants. The seedlings are still only about 4 inches high while the others are, well, much bigger.

Last week I began setting them outside as I hardened off the other veggie plants. Around this time, I noticed that the smaller "first" leaves of the eggplant were turning yellow; now the other larger leaves are also yellowing, and turning brown and crinkly and dry at the edges. Now I am also seeing dark, blackening of some of the leaves. They are so small - is it possible they have already become diseased? Or did I just overdo the initial sun exposure? I am now separating them from my other plants, unsure what to do. Scrap them and try and buy seedlings at the garden center? Treat them with something (with what?)? And if they have a disease, could it also be in my pepper and tomato seedlings?

It does sound like they have sunscald. This happens when they get to much light from the sun without being acclimated. Since they are already small, they may have trouble recovering. This article will help with acclimating them in the future:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/seeds/how-to-harden-off-your-seedlings.htm

00
Here are more questions about Eggplant Plants