Tomato Plants

Help Ripening Small Green Tomatoes

porphyro added on October 15, 2013 | Answered

I have been ripening some small green tomatoes for a few weeks, in a cupboard under a sheet of paper. Just put them in a plastic bag now. Some are still green and quite hard, the ones which have turned or are turning red seem to be a little softer, in some cases slightly spongy. Am I doing something wrong or should I carry on and hope for the best? The tomatoes are small (about half the size of snooker balls) and were grown in a garden in Northern England.

Hopefully, this article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/how-to-turn-green-tomatoes-red-how-to-store-tomatoes-in-the-fall.htm

Were the tomatoes almost fully sized before picking? I've found that picking small green tomatoes from a plant that has large fruit results in a less than ideal outcome. The tomatoes will eventually color up, but the texture and taste aren't great. Green fruit, almost ready to start ripening will give a nice tomato, when stored as suggested in the article.

00
Here are more questions about Tomato Plants