Asparagus Plants

Harvesting Asparagus

When picking asparagus, I simply snap them low to the soil but leave a small 1/2 inch remaining of the spear sticking out of the ground. I've been told I'll get much better production if I use a knife and cut the spear under the soil surface. I see no agronomic reason this should be true and wonder if I'm missing something. Please advise and thank you in advance.

Either way is really ok, though some people believe cutting is better to reduce the stress on the plant and to keep the likelihood of pests or disease down due to damage that may be caused from breaking the plant. Here is more information on harvesting asparagus: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/asparagus/harvesting-asparagus.htm

00
Here are more questions about Asparagus Plants