Lawn Problems

Grubs and Fertilizer

I've stripped my lawn to dirt and found grubs (lots). Should I put a grub treatment down before laying new sod to prevent their return? Also, should I fertilize before sod?

Answered on November 30, -0001

Yes, treat now, lay sod, and then treat again in the summer. It will at least keep the grubs manageable until the optimal time to treat them. This article will help with that: As for fertilizing, if your topsoil is good, then there is not too much need for amendments. You can take a handful of dirt in your hand and squeeze it. If it holds together until you poke it, but falls apart after a poke or too, then it is good. Too much fertilizer (unless carefully applied) will just burn the new sod so I would wait until it is established. A little compost mixed into the soil beforehand should suffice if your soil isn't the greatest.

Here are more questions about Lawn Problems