Potato Plants

Growing Potatoes

I would like to slice up potatoes for planting. I was told that if I cut a potato to plant, the piece must scab over (the word the person I purchased the potatoes from used). Is this true? She said the potato piece would rot if it has not been scabbed over. Is this true? If I must scab over, how is this done? I know about planting as far as the sprouting eyes go. Should I use 1 or 2 sprouting eyes? I have planted potatoes before and I used the whole potato. This year it has been hard to locate potatoes with sprouting eyes.

Answered on November 30, -0001

Yes, this is true. Cut them into pieces so that each piece has at least one eye (though more than one eye per piece is fine too) and is roughly at least an ounce. Then allow the potato pieces to cure (scab over) in a cool but humid place for 2-3 days. You can also sprinkle the cut potatoes with an anti-fungal powder at this time, if desired. After curing, they should be planted as soon as possible.

00
Here are more questions about Potato Plants