Fig Tree

Growing Fig Tree

Stephen.JM added on April 28, 2016 | Answered

I just purchased two new Chicago hardy fig trees because they can withstand cold up to -20 degrees and in NJ. (since I was alive never got less 15 degrees) and the company I bought it from said it can be planted in a pot. I have already two half barrel pots in my back yard so I planted them there maybe a week or two ago. The plants are doing great, but I am reading now that in the winter I will have to bring figs trees into garage or basement. I can't carry that huge pot into garage or lift onto a dolly to move. Is there any way to winterize, like putting a garbage bag over it or burlap bag or something in the winter? Thank you Stephen

kh0001

You can try wrapping it (there's a link to an article on how to do this below) but there are no guarantees that will protect it from a freeze. The best thing to do really is to try to tilt and roll the barrel pots into the garage. This article may help you: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/figs/fig-cold-protection.htm

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree