Carrots

Growing Carrots in Winter

Shar added on September 13, 2017 | Answered

I would like to grow carrots all winter. I live in New York. I have a container, but what soil would let me pull them out in cold weather? I heard someone say they grew them in sand, but how does that work? Thx Sharon

Carrots make wonderful container plants! Just make sure you plant them in a taller pot, unless you use miniature varieties. Fortunately carrots prefer colder weather, however, you should bring them in when it gets down in the middle of winter. Most standard potting soil will be soft enough to pull the carrots out when they are ready, but if you would like to make this easier, you can put some extra perlite in your soil, as opposed to sand. Here is an article that will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/carrot/container-grown-carrots.htm

00
Shar

Thank you

00
Here are more questions about Carrots