Pear Trees

Grafted Pear Tree

Taliesin added on June 9, 2014 | Answered

I have just bought a grafted pear tree. The varieties being Williams and Beurre Hardy. It has been many years since I studied horticulture in college and had to give up though disability so I have forgotten a great deal.

Both grafts are healthy, although the point of graft seem a little narrow to support the tree as it grows. Is there now a way I can thicken the main trunk or will this automatically strengthen as the tree grows? Also, with regards to pruning, can anyone give any ideas of when is best? Should I simply allow this winter to fully establish itself or should I be pruning from this year?

Many thanks,

Justin

This article will give you the basics of pruning pear trees: http://depts.washington.edu/propplnt/Chapters/Layering%20and%20grafting.pdf

00
Here are more questions about Pear Trees