Manure Fertilizer

Goat Manure and Hay Not Fully Composted

We have many piles of goat manure and hay mixture that have been sitting for about 3-8 years. The top layer is nicely composted. However, the under layers still have a lot of hay pieces compacted in. What do I have to add to make the compost process complete itself? I have turned it but some seem slimy and other parts are just packed tightly. It has no odor. Of course, I would love to use it this spring in my vegetable garden!

Since it has been sitting for that long, it really would not hurt to put it onto the garden or in the soil as is. However, if you would like to compost it, you'll likely need to balance out the greens and browns--nitrogen material (manure) vs carbon (hay). These articles will help:,

Here are more questions about Manure Fertilizer