Tomato Plants

Fungus on Seed-Starting Soil

Anonymous added on January 19, 2011 | Answered

I have the white, fluffy fungus on my small tomato seedling soil. I have taken steps to increase the air circulation and decrease the humidity. Can I scrape off the fungus from the very top soil without having to repot the plants, as they are still quite small?

kiwigeorge

My 1920's garden book lists "Cheshunt Compound" to solve this problem but I have not been able to find either that or an equivalent. I now make my own seeding and potting mixes from sharp river sand, aged sifted horse manure and compost which has a high seaweed content. I also water my seedlings with very weak liquid seaweed manure and have had no fungus problems since starting to use it. I prefer kelp seaweed but use what ever I can collect, put it through my mulcher and soak it in a plastic (not metal) barrel for at least two months and stir it daily. I also feed my mature plants with seaweed mixture and have virtually no disease propblems. Hope this helps.
KiwiGeorge

00
Here are more questions about Tomato Plants