Weeping Cherry Trees

FROZEN Blooming Weeping Cherry

JustCallMe B added on March 15, 2017 | Answered

Well I did well during the snow. I covered the tree with a sheet and then plastic covering on top. The base had a fleece blanket. Kept the snow off of it all night long so the branches wouldn't break. It made it just fine. However, the temps dipped into the teens last night. I had a light sheet over the top and blanket around the base. No ice came up from around the base but the blossoms and leaves are frozen. I have 2 questions: 1. It's supposed to be another cold night tonight with temps in the teens do I wrap Christmas lights around it to keep it warm with a sheet over the top or....? 2. What do I do with the dead blossoms and leaves once it warms up by the end of the week...pick them off or let them fall on their own. You have been very helpful with all my questions during this sudden cold snap and I appreciate all of your help ad input! Many Thanks, B

Leave any damaged areas of the tree intact, they actually will help protect the plant if the cold continues.

Continue to cover the plant but remove the covering during the daylight warmer temperatures.

Make sure you have the ground mulched with 3 to 4 inches of hardwood mulch to help protect the roots.

Cold damage can take days or even weeks to show, so wait to trim out the plant until days are warmer.

Do remember that most reputable garden centers will guarantee a new tree or plant for one year. Check you receipts incase your newly planted tree does not make it.

Good luck! It's very cold in my garden too!

10
Here are more questions about Weeping Cherry Trees