Paperwhites

Forced Paperwhites

Anonymous added on December 26, 2010 | Answered

Two of the four paperwhite bulbs I planted several weeks back are pushing themselves out of the soil. I placed them all so that 3/4 of the bulb was under the lightweight growing mixture that came with them. Yet, the two that are uprooting themselves are now so high that half an inch of root is exposed under the bulb; yet, they continue to grow and are setting buds. Any explanation for this behavior? Should I try to cover them with soil again?

I would suspect that the bulbs roots are pushing at the bulbs around them and this is what is causing them to heave. Just try mounding a little soil around them. Do not push them down, as this could damage the roots. As long as the roots stay in soil/water, the plant will grow fine.

00
Here are more questions about Paperwhites