Plant Recommendations

I have a flowerbed next to my walkway, about 3'x 15'. I also have a metal roof. When the snow slides off the roof in the winter, it falls on this flowerbed and breaks or kills everything it lands on. What could I plant that would be dormant in the winter, but be beautiful the rest of the year? I live in zone 6, and the flowerbed faces east.

Bulbs would be good. Take a look at a variety of bulbs, as different kinds bloom at different times during the spring and summer. Hostas, columbines, lungwort and ferns are nice choices too, as they die back to the growing in the fall and regrow in the spring. Also look for annuals like cosmos, love in the mist and larkspur that reseed themselves each year. They would die in the fall and their seeds would grow in the spring.

Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations