Fig Tree

Fig Tree Fruit

Flatrocks49 added on September 1, 2017 | Answered

I have a neighbor that has two different fig trees. I have been given green figs from a neighbor and they are soft to the touch. My neighbor says they are ripe and ready to eat. The same neighbor also gave me purple figs that are soft and ready to eat. My question is do fig trees produce different color figs? If so what are the names for the green and purple figs. Thank you

Go by the color. One of the first signs your figs are becoming ripe is their change in color. Young, immature and unripe figs tend to be small and green in hue. For varieties like Brown Turkey, Chicago Hardy, Celeste, and LSU Purple, the color will change from green to brown or purple as the fruit ripens. In the case of certain fig varieties, like Kadota and LSU Gold, the fruit’s mature color is still greenish.

Here are more questions about Fig Tree