Fig Tree

Fig Tree Bringing Indoors

Stephen.JM added on November 6, 2016 | Answered

I bought two Chicago Hardy fig trees. Planted in pots about June to move indoors when the winter came. They are going great. Now it's November. Last week my wife and I tried to move the trees, but they ate through the rotting wood barrel and are growing in the ground now. My question is, can I leave it there this winter and transplant into a new bucket next year? And if so, when is a good time to do this? Thank you, Stephen.

It depends on where you live and how cold the winters get. Chicago Hardy Fig can grow outdoors year-round in gardening zones 5 and warmer. In these zones, the tree will do best growing outdoors permanently. In zone 4, it may be able to survive with winter protection:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/figs/fig-cold-protection.htm

In colder zones, the tree should probably be moved indoors this year by digging it up and transplanting into a new pot. Otherwise the first winter will probably kill it.

00
Here are more questions about Fig Tree