Wisteria Vines

Does Wisteria Break Dormancy Late?

cindi added on April 18, 2011 | Answered

I planted two wisteria at the base of an arbor last spring. It was a beautiful plant all summer and climbed and twined on the arbor. I was looking forward to seeing it flower this year. However, the bark/stem is brown and there is no sign of even leaf buds. The plants came from a farm store garden center. The plant was in a gallon container. It is called a Wisteria macrostachya "Aunt Dee". It is labled for Zones 4-8, and I live in Zone 5. I did not do any pruning at all. Is my wisteria still alive? Will it bloom this year? Is it late to break dormancy?

Some varieties do break late. This article can help you figure out if it is budding late or is dead:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/how-to-tell-if-a-plant-is-dead-and-how-to-recover-an-almost-dead-plant.htm

The first year for plants, even when they are planted in the right zone, it a hard one. If they do turn out to be dead, try planting again and give them plants extra protection in the winter the first year they are planted.

00
Here are more questions about Wisteria Vines