Douglas Fir Trees

Does a Douglas Fir Tree Effect the Soil for a Garden?

Volcano2014 added on February 16, 2015 | Answered

My house had a 50ft tall Douglas Fir that fell in a recent storm and I want to use the now available sun to make a vegetable garden. I was wondering if I would have to put new soil in the place where the fir was, or is it OK to still grow a garden there.

Thanks!
Volcano2014

Volcano2014

Thanks! i will definitely add some nutrients and compost. just making sure it wouldn't make my cucumbers poisoned

00

You can use the space for a garden. It would be a good idea to get a soil test first, to check on pH and nutrients, because the big tree may have used a lot in the area. Also plan on using plenty of compost and other organic amendments. You can get a soil test, and lots of good advice, from your local extension service. Use this link to find the nearest office: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search/

00
Here are more questions about Douglas Fir Trees