Open2

Dead or Dying Leaves on Plants

rkutney74 added on August 5, 2016 | Answered

I take off dead or dying leaves from my plants either houseplants or outside plants. It is my understanding that the plant will try to help the bad leaves. I want the plant to focus on the healthy leaves so I eliminate the sick ones. My husband says "who does that out in nature?" Am I wrong?

This can depend on the plants that you are working with, but in most cases removal of dead plant material is a beneficial task.
Dead heading spent flowers generally will help the plant produce more flowers and for a longer period.
In the case of bulb plants or many perennials such as Daylily, you should leave the foliage to die down naturally.
You can search about the care of specific plants on our Gardening Know How site.

00
Here are more questions about Open2