Insect Pest Control

Anonymous added on January 22, 2014 | Answered

I have an infestation for cutworms in my compost. They are large with a whitish body and an orange head. I have tried to pick them out but they also make an egg-like cocoon out of the soil and they are very hard to find. HELP!

These actually sound more like grub worms, which are good for the compost pile, helping to break things down and aerate it. Generally, they will go away on their own. I wouldn't use any chemicals in the compost. Once put in the garden, birds will most likely feast on any that are left and you could continue to hand pick the ones you see and drop them in a bucket of soapy water. If you happen to have chickens, they enjoy snacking on them too. For additional information on pests in compost, this article should help:

Here are more questions about Insect Pest Control