Open2

Creeping Vines

stevegilkey added on May 3, 2017 | Answered

I live in a duplex condo. The front of the house is a northern exposure that gets sun about half of the day (morning time). There's a carport on the front between the house and the street that's held up by a number of 4 x 4 pillars. I'm considering creeping vines along the out board side of the driveway (up the pillars, and then across as much of the street side near the roof of the carport as they'll grow), but I don't want to damage the house with above ground-roots. I've had some luck w/ clematis vines, but they may not be appropriate, due to the amount of sun available. I'm also looking at climbing hydrangeas, but I'm a little concerned about damage from above-ground roots. Any thoughts? I'm not at home, and I don't think that I have any photos of the front of the house available. I've included a scan from google maps that may give you some idea; I'm the building on the right. My unit is the one with the blue truck parked in front, but I'd like to do ends of the carport. Portland is in Zone 8.

DLarum

This article suggests some options for growing vines on a home without damaging the siding

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/ovgen/vine-damage-to-siding-shingles.htm

00
Here are more questions about Open2