Crape Myrtle Trees

Crape Myrtle

My crape myrtle completely leafed out this spring, then on all but two branches the leaves turned orange (like fall) and fell off. It is now June and 3/4 of my tree is bare branches. We had a wet, cool spring (I live in California's San Joaquin Valley). Can you tell me what happened and is the tree salvageable or should I destroy it? I might add that now there are many branches and leaves coming up from the bottom of the trunk. I have always cut them off before, but should I leave them and make a shrub?

It sounds like you tree may have a fungus or possibly an insect problem. Treat it with both a fungicide and a pesticide. Neem oil is nice as it is both a fungicide and a pesticide.

The sprouts at the bottom are suckers. When a tree is stressed (as yours is), it will start sending up more of these in an attempt to grow at any cost. These can be removed without harming the tree.

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees