Crape Myrtle Trees

Crape Myrtle

gardening60 added on October 9, 2011 | Answered

I bought a large white crape myrtle tree. I have planted her with good soil and fertilized. I did prune the top limb branches after planting it. Will she make it through the winter months and will she bloom come spring?

Generally, it is better to wait until late winter/early spring for pruning; otherwise, you run the risk of delaying their blooms. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/crepe-myrtle/best-crepe-myrtle-pruning-time-when-to-prune-crepe-myrtle.htm

That being said, as far as winter goes, the tree should be fine. However, it's usually dependent on the variety--some are hardy to Zone 6. Colder regions may require adequate winter protection (i.e.-winter wrapping).

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees