Starting A Garden

Convert Play Area to Vegetable Garden

I have a 20' x 15' plot which held a play structure until it reached the end of its service life. The structure is down and I am converting this area to a vegetable garden. I've pulled up the weed barrier, but there is still about 6 - 10" of pine wood chip mulch. Can I simply rototill this into the soil? Will the pine wood chips interfere with the vegetables we want to grow next spring? Is there anything I can mix in while rototilling that will accelerate the decomposition of the pine wood chips?

Have you considered removing the chipped pine and using it as a mulch elsewhere? It involves a bit of labour and some expense perhaps depending on where you live but it may improved vegetable growth and productivity if you import some fresh soil high in organing matter plus add any composted material you have already. Just some thoughts. Good luck. 😊

Here are more questions about Starting A Garden