Plant Recommendations

Container Plants Used to Create Privacy on Small Patio

I have a tiled patio (1st floor open balcony), which faces north with some late afternoon west sun exposure, in San Diego less than 1/4 mile from the ocean. I want to use plants in containers to create privacy from the sidewalk. The area of privacy is 12 feet long on the patio that is 7 1/2 feet wide to the patio door. There is a 32 inch high pony wall with a small ledge and railing above the wall. I would like the plants to be 5 or 6 feet high, measured from the tile floor. Right now I have 5 terra cotta pots with plants that aren't thriving (sorry can't remember their names at the moment). Please help with suggestions for plant names that grow wide to create a shield of privacy but don't take much water and need minimal care.

For year-round use, I suggest evergreens. Junipers are really tough and come in various heights and thrive in containers. You could also opt for hardy bamboo by planting it in a long, narrow planter box. Place this along the side of your balcony or patio where you’d like more privacy. Ornamental millet, which has attractive dark purple foliage, grows about 5 feet tall and produces bushy growth, perfect for privacy. Alternatively, you could try hanging a bunch of pots at different heights and planting them with a variety of bushy and trailing plants.

Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/spaces/creative-screening-with-plants-good-borders-make-good-neighbors.htm

00
Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations