Raised Garden Beds

Container Gardening

I built a 4' x 8' cedar wood box, which I placed over a concrete slab and put rocks on the bottom. I then filled with 6. 5 inches of a mix of peat moss, coarse vermiculite and a combination of cow manure, mushroom compost and a 40-pound bag of chicken manure. Did I make a mistake with the chicken manure? Did I use too much? My ratios were 4 cu. ft. of coarse vermiculite, 3. 9 cu. ft. of peat moss and about 5-6 bags of manure and compost. Is the chicken too strong? It is now Oct. 21 and I live in hot and sunny Ft. Lauderdale.

Well you probably didn't need the chicken manure as you already added cow manure and mushroom compost. That alone would have been enough. All you can really do now is turn the soil to mix everything thoroughly and allow it to sit over winter. Hopefully by spring planting season, the soil will not container too much nitrogen. I would recommend having the soil tested prior to planting anything just to be safe and go from there.

Here are more questions about Raised Garden Beds