Plant Recommendations

Cold Hardy Trees for Container

I live in Brooklyn, NY and need a tree that will provide some privacy on my balcony. The area gets five or more hours of sun. Plus, it will have to survive in a container year round. According to the the map, I live in a Zone 6 area. Which species of tree would survive year round in a container in my zone? Any specific container I should use? I was thinking of building a wood planter box.

If you are looking for privacy on a balcony, I would recommend using a vine and trellis instead of a tree. It will provide the screen that you are looking for quickly and would not take up the space that a tree would need. Some good evergreen, privacy vines would be:

Persian Ivy
English Ivy
Boston Ivy
Creeping Fig
Gelsemium sempervirens

If you are still set on a tree, Arborvitae is a common and good choice for evergreen privacy trees in pots. The pot needs to be at least 2 inches larger than the rootball, though I would go larger than this if you do not want to repot anytime soon.

Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations