China Doll Plants

China Doll Pruning

Anonymous added on December 8, 2011 | Answered

I have a 2-year old China Doll in a 16-inch pot on the floor. It's very happy and has reached the ceiling. Its new pair of leaves and the main stem are still trying to grow and are smashed against the ceiling. Should I top it or prune it back, and if so, how much? Also, it recently developed a sucker at the base. Can I root that?

Yes, you can prune it. A healthy stem can be cut back to any point on that stem by 2/3 to 1/2. The new growth will emerge just below the point of the pruning cut, so prune back to the place where you want new growth to come in. As for rooting another plant, this article should help with that: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/china-doll/china-doll-plant-propagation.htm

00
Here are more questions about China Doll Plants