Basil Plants

Changing Potting Soil of Basil Plant

I planted sweet basil seeds in a cheap potting soil in a container indoors on a balcony four weeks back. The seedlings are about an inch now. I had fertilized them with an organic fish emulsion fertilizer once around two and half weeks after I planted them. I also check the drainage and watering and do not overwater and do not let the soil dry out. It receives around 6 hours of direct sunlight everyday. I can see a yellow shade at the base of a few leaves. I read about planting basil and found that it needs a nutrient-rich soil. I feel this might be the reason of the yellowness in the leaves. I would like to change the potting soil but not sure how should I go about it. I would be very grateful if you could help.

I don't think you need to repot. Really, cheap or expensive potting soil is the same. The only real difference is the fertilizers in the mix, and you can add those in through the use of fish emulsion.

You may be overwatering just slightly. Allow the top of the soil to dry out, just the top, before watering. If possible, also try watering from below rather than above until the plants get a little bigger.

Here are more questions about Basil Plants