Broccoli Plants

Caterpillars and Aphids

Anonymous added on December 6, 2014 | Answered

I live in Yeppoon qld, Australia. Because of the continually rainy and unusual wet, I cannot get rid of caterpillars and aphids (they are green and brown ones, ). I am using pyrethium and tom dust & veggie dust (which seems to kill things veggie wise not bugs), and I can't stop them, yet they are breeding faster than I can purchase stuff. I have lost all my broccoli, tomatoes are being eaten green, peas are covered in caterpillars. It is costing me a fortune for pyrethium. I have a small number of ladybirds which some suggest will kill the aphids but this is ridiculous. I don't know if you can help, but I considering letting loose menopause on them all. It seems to work for everything else.

Oooh, it sounds like you're having a terrible year. Of course, unusual weather conditions always cause us gardeners unlooked for problems, don't they. I can suggest that you try some BT products for the caterpillars - won't get rid of them immediately, but might help in the long haul. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/using-bacillus-thuringiensis.htm

The aphids are a different matter. True, ladybugs (as we call them) are potent predators, but they can only eat so many (actually, their larval forms eat even more than the cute little adults do.) This article has some suggestions you might find useful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/controlling-aphids-and-ants.htm

You can also call the nearest botanical garden for information about contacting a master gardener group, who will help you with analysis and treatment. There is nothing more valuable than the experience and advice of the gardeners in your own neighborhood.

00
Here are more questions about Broccoli Plants