Jasmine Plants

Carolina Jasmine

I have two Carolina Jasime plants that are planted in Very Large pots 25 " deep. The plants themselves are approx 7' tall and growing on a tripod of bamboo. The pots and plants are too large to bring indoors for the winter. I live in Charlottesville, VA Zone 7, I believe. How can I care for them over the winter months. Should I prune them back, if so how far. And should I cover them for the winter months? If so, what would you recommend I use. Would wrapping them in sheets be sufficiant?

I think the plant you're referring to is Carolina Jessamine, Gelsemium sempervirens (some people do call it Carolina Jasmine, but it's not a true jasmine). This plant is winter-hardy in zone 7, so it should do fine. It is not recommended to cover them for the winter, because the leaves are semi-evergreen and will still be photosyntheiszing in the winter. Placing a wind screen near them is a possibility. They will also be protected if they are near trees or shrubs that break the wind.

This plant can be pruned if desired, but the best time for pruning is just after they've finished flowering. They won't benefit from pruning in the fall.

00
Here are more questions about Jasmine Plants