Avocado Trees

Caring for an Indoor Avocado Plant

Sandra added on March 20, 2011 | Answered

I live in Wisconsin and I'm very new to the entire idea of gardening! My boyfriend's mother planted the pit, and waited until it began to shoot and grow leaves before turning the care over to me. The problem is that, even though I'm following the instructions she gave me, it seems to be dying: the leaves are droopy and look to be drying out on the ends. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, and I've only had it for a few days! I'm too embarrassed to go back to the boyfriend's mother and tell her that I'm already having trouble, so I was hoping that I could avoid that and find help here. Anything you can advise would be helpful, I'm sure, and greatly appreciated!

This is an indication that the tree is either over watered or under watered and, between you and me, if you have only had it a few days, this is not your fault. This damage would have happened while in your boyfriend's mother's care.

But, it can be fixed. First, start to water it correctly. Once a week check the soil. Water the plant if the very top of the soil is dry. If you can stick your finger into the soil and the soil an inch deep is dry, you have waited too long to water.

Since the plant may have been overwatered, you should also check for root rot. This article will help you with that:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/disease/treating-root-rot-gardening-tips-for-housplants.htm

With proper watering, it should bounce back in no time.

00
Here are more questions about Avocado Trees