Cantaloupe Leaves Black

vett1960 added on June 13, 2011 | Answered

My cantaloupe leaves have turned black. I have 6 pods of cantaloupes, about 10' x 10' with ten to fifteen 6" cantaloupes on each. Only one pod has about a 2' x 2' area in the center with black leaves, not black spots. The black is not dusty. We have not have any rain for over four months. I have an underground watering system from the lake. I have not over watered. If anything, I stay on the dry side. The cantaloupes are in full sun. Last two weeks it has been 86-100 degrees. Thanks for any help.

I would increase water. The leaves may simply be dying. The weather sounds like it is very dry and hot and the plants are likely going through water rapidly. The black leaves could be leaves that dehydrated quickly.

It may also be a fungus, though not sooty mold if the leaves are not powdery. Treat the plants with a fungicide to be on the safe side.

Here are more questions about Cantaloupe