Butternut Squash Plants

Can You Plant Butternut Squash in Planters and Cover With Dirt

joan11 added on July 10, 2014 | Answered

I made 4 planters (15" x 5" x 6). I started the seed. Can I plant the containers in the ground and cover them with dirt? Will the squash keep growing down hill? I am talking about butternut.

Thank you,

I'm not sure what you mean about the squash growing downhill, but the concern with growing a plant like squash in containers is using something large enough to allow room for the roots. I don't know if the containers you describe are large enough. Another consideration is watering. Containers buried in the ground are going to be difficult to monitor, and to water. This article has some other thoughts on growing squash in containers: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/growing-squash-in-containers.htm

Here are more questions about Butternut Squash Plants