Soil for Potting an Angel Wing Begonia

Jo Ann Smith Young added on September 27, 2014 | Answered

Can I use commercial cacti soil for potting an Angel Wing begonia. I also have on hand, orchid mix. Could I mix equal parts of the cacti and orchid soils? I have one more question. I have an "ancient old fig bush." There have been years when I have had two crops, June and October. Last year I was making fig jam nearly all summer and fall. This spring we had to cut it completely back --- So, this year I have all new growth, approximately 6ft high and 4 ft in diameter ---- What is the best MULCH for me to use to protect it?

Cactus soil should be just fine, though you might want to add organics by using organic fertilizer, such as fish emulsion. You could also use orchid soil, and add perlite half-and-half with the soil. (BTW, I'm not crazy about using soil for orchid, I like bark mixes better, but if you have good results with the soil mix, by all means use it.) Here's more info on begonia:

Your fig bush sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm a little bit jealous. Are you thinking that because of all the new growth it should have some extra protection for the winter? That would probably be wise. This article has instructions for protecting the whole plant if that's what your thinking of:

Good mulch to use would be fallen leaves, old hay or straw, or hardwood mulch:

Here are more questions about Begonias