Evergreens

Planting Potted Evergreen Tree

Can I plant my potted 5 ft. evergreen tree in Sept/Oct in New England? I have had an indoor 'Christmas' tree for a couple of years now. It has gone from being a sapling to a nearly five foot tall tree. We have purchased a home and I would like to give it a permanent residence in the yard. I have kept it in a very large planter, always kept it moist and fertilized (tree food stake). It looks very healthy and has thrived. It has spent the spring and summer months outside and is still outside currently; however, I worry in the upcoming months whether I should plant it now - or bring it in till spring. Any advice?

Most Christmas trees are normally grown in cooler climates. Since it is not accustomed to being outdoors, I would leave it over winter as is and slowly acclimate the tree outdoors in spring, planting it as you would any other tree. The tree should go into dormancy and can be fertilized following its plantation outdoors. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/christmas-trees/plant-your-christmas-tree.htm

00
Here are more questions about Evergreens