Redbud Trees

Can I Plant a New Redbud Where an Older One Was

daYoop added on April 25, 2013 | Answered

Over the winter I had a 40 year old redbud next to my deck die. Today it was cut down and the stump was removed by grinding, where the grinder went very deep.

I've been told that I cannot plant another tree where this one was and have to be at least 7 feet away from where the trunk of the older redbud was. My question is why can't I plant a smaller 3" diameter redbud where the old one was given that the stump has been removed?

The concern with replanting in the same location has to do with the spread of pathogens from diseased shrubs/trees that may have been previously planted there. It sounds as if your tree may have simply died from old age - yes, trees have lifespans too. For more information, this article should help:

If you are able to dig thru the roots of the old tree, I see no reason not to plant another one.

Here are more questions about Redbud Trees