Hibiscus Plants

Can I Mulch Outdoor Hibiscus, Prune Them Back or Keep Them Dormant Until Warm Weather Returns?

I live in Northeastern Oklahoma and have several Hibiscuses growing outdoors. I would like to nurse them through the winter if possible.

While overwintering indoors is always preferrable, especially for tropical varieties, one of the best ways to protect outdoor hibiscus that are planted in the ground is to mulch over the root zone and around the main stem of the plant. For additional protection (such as when extreme temps are expected), wrap the entire hibiscus in heavy frost cloth, tarp, or burlap. And yes, it definitely helps to prune back the plant but only AFTER winter, as the foliage will help insulate the plant. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hibiscus/tips-for-pruning-hibiscus-plants-when-to-prune-hibiscus.htm

Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants