Garlic Plants

Can I Grow Elephant Garlic in Zone 9b?

I've been contemplating the idea of growing elephant garlic in my area, yet I've been told nothing. Nobody seems to know anything. Can anybody help me?

Yes, you can. While it is closer to a leek than a garlic, you plant and grow elephant garlic like regular garlic. Because of its size, spacing is different. Put the cloves 8-10 inches apart in rows 18-20 inches from each other. Set them 1-2 inches deep. Sometimes elephant garlic tends to produce only one large, solid bulb with no segments. If this occurs, replant and it will produce a bulb the next harvest with the more typical cloves. Planting usually takes place in fall, abou t4-6 weeks before the first hard freeze in order to establish roots but it can also be spring planted. Harvest the garlic by pulling or digging when the tops turn brown and die down in summer. Store in a cool, dry place to prevent sprouting.

00
Here are more questions about Garlic Plants