Barrel Cactus Plants

Can a Barrel Cactus Be Grown in Zone 8b

stephenauckerman added on February 10, 2017 | Answered

I have a barrel cactus. Research says it can withstand temperates as low as 15 degrees for short periods. I live in zone 8. That's the middle section of South Carolina. Winter temps can rarely drop to 10 degrees. I was hoping to plant it outside and cover it when temps dropped below even 30 degrees. Most winter days warm up to 50 or 55. Often, winter days get into the 70s. Can I plant it outside? Cactus is about 15 by 15 inches now. About 15 years old. Thanks. Waiting your reply. Stephen

I think your plan will most likely work, although there may still be some risk of the cactus being damaged by cold. Also, avoid watering your cactus in winter, because absorbing more water may cause it to become more susceptible to cold.

If your cactus does happen to be damaged by cold at some point, see the Frost Damage section here:
https://cactiguide.com/cactipests/#frost

00
Here are more questions about Barrel Cactus Plants