Calla Lily Plants

Calla Lily

edkdek added on May 6, 2015 | Answered

Why is there no tears anymore on the ends of the leaves? Do the flowers have to dry completely before I cut them off? When do I put them in the peat moss? Do they have too dry out before I put them in the moss for the winter? Please advise, Doris

The tears you are referring to are called guttation or “crying” and occurs when your plant has had too much water. Basically, excess water accumulates in the plant creating a slight root pressure. The root pressure builds up and forces some water to exude through the leaves. If your calla lily stopped crying then the pressure on the roots has subsided. Be careful not to over-water your plant in the future.

For more information on the care of calla lilies, please visit the following link:

Here is an article that will tell you how to deadhead calla lilies:

Here is an article that will tell you how to take care of your calla lily rhizomes before winter:

Here are more questions about Calla Lily Plants